A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: (Pmbok Guide) by Project Management Institute E books Download from Book Store

 


As someone that is studying for a PMP Certification, this book is essential for any library. If you are preparing for the PMP Exam, or already a PMP, having this knowledge at your finger tips is a must. There is no way of memorizing all of the information that is presented, so being able to revert to the information for either calculations of 3-Pt, PERT, variance, float, PV/FV, # communication channels, and EVM formulas like EAC, CPI and TCPI, or to ensure that when planning or executing a project, that all areas are being appropriately covered. I have found that in preparing for my exam, that I have been doing many of the tasks required for a PMP, however I never knew that I was doing it. I did not know until I was reading through my copy of the PMBOK that there were so many different calculations. If you do not have this book, then you should get it.
This is a good compendium of project management topics and I do recommend it. It is definately a good overview for those new to the formal study of project management. In addition to those studying for the certification exam, I would include this as required reading/study for those who are working on a large project but don't have a lot of practical experience. The book follows a logical sequence of topics. In this context, it is a 5 star reference book. 
For me personally, I found this book to be somewhat generic; but has good coverage for a very broad range of project management topics. The sample forms and templates could have been presented in multiple versions that repreresented different industry perspectives. Perhaps the addition of case studies and crosswalks with other methodologies would enhance the overall reading experience. That part of this evaluation results in a 4 star rating.